• About Me

• Categories

• Twitter Updates

• Archives

• TOTS 100 - UK Parent Blogs
    familyholidays.co.uk

baking as meditation

It's been a hard few weeks in the Generally Gemma house hold. I am really struggling with my job and the stress that it entails, I've never worked at anything quite like it. My normal way of dealing with issues of that nature is to eat and more importantly baking.

I find the rhythmic qualities of weighing, beating, spooning relaxing and requiring just enough concentration so that my mind doesn't drift back to work issues again. But of course being on the diet means that baking has to be in short supply at my house.

Fortunately for me though there have been a couple of birthdays recently which demanded cupcakes! G's brother was 31 and requested chocolate cakes with blue icing, because of course he is a boy.

For my friend who attends slimming group with me though I went with something a bit more grown up, well sprinkles don't count! I've always fancied the idea of trying red velvet cupcakes so went with those and BOY were they good! Moist, just a hint of chocolate and light as a feather. But the colour! Oh my word the colour!

There are no words to describe quite how red these things are! G very very nearly refused to put one in his mouth! He did in the end though, I mean who turns down cake!

Obviously though I can't bake every time work gets too much for me so what do you people do? How do you mange to switch off at the end of the day?

About these ads
Previous Post
Next Post

13 Comments

1. You have been so busy! Hope work isn’t too stressful.
    I can’t stop making the Red Velvet cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery book. Drool!

2. I thought you’d been a bit quiet of late – must be because you had your mouth full of cake! These all look yummy, hope they are getting you through the stress. I don’t really know how I switch off at the end of the day – a cup of tea and a sit down helps though.

3. The cup cakes look delicious, I’ve never had a red velvet cup cake, look yummy!

4. it’s called Knitting Gemma! The best stress-buster I know. It gets me through everything.
    But cupcakes – oh the red ones!! – are an excellent subsitute!

5. I’m sorry to hear that you have job issues. I tend to go straight to my sewing machine when that happens. In fact I did so just this Friday as soon as I got home from work and didn’t realize how late it was until my stomach complained and I realized I had been working non stop for three hours. There were no yummy cupcakes to tide me over until dinner was ready, though!

6. X M X

/  March 22, 2010

The cupcakes look amazing, am a bit with G on the colour issue but would have defo given them a go and possibly two goes !!!!!

7. Oh I bake and cook when I am stressed too! Maybe turn your talents towards making healthier stuff too? I definitely use crafting as a stress buster too. Or watching hours of dance videos on YouTube. I’ve missed you dear! (Not that I’ve been keeping up with my blog reading – work has been insanity for me too!) Sorry work has been stressful! xoxoxo

8. I knit, I go for walks, I read, I watch really silly stuff on TV.
    Then I knit some more.

9. Sue thomas

/  March 22, 2010

Prescription for not getting into cake/food trouble:
    Crochet, knit, quilt, drink tea, repeat as necessary.
    Good Luck!!

10. Sally

/  March 23, 2010

I’m sorry your job is so stressful at the moment. When mine gets to me and I’m too tired to knit I read lovely blogs like yours! They cheer me up, and it puts things into perspective and makes me see how localised my own pressures are. Though I can see that red velvet cupcakes would be a tasty alternative…

11. Baths! Baths keep me sane. Red velvet cupcakes make me pretty happy too.

12. Sometimes when work is stressful, coming home and making dinner is relaxing. The simple acts of chopping and stirring can be soothing. I have tried to stay away from the sweets (I have such a sweet tooth) but today I gave in and made some chocolate chip cookies. Knitting is good but I’ve found that a workout at the gym is good for the stress. I feel tired when I’m done and the stress is lessened.

13. hmmm these look delicious