• About Me

• Categories

• Twitter Updates

• Archives

• TOTS 100 - UK Parent Blogs
    familyholidays.co.uk

Flowers

Just before work got completely out of hand G and I had a couple of days out to places that I have wanted to visit for quite sometime. One of those was Columbia Road flower market.

For yonks now I have drooled over other peoples pictures of their journeys to this place and back in April G and I got up at some forsaken hour of the morning and traveled from our sleepy village into London to see it for ourselves.

Not even other blogs had quite prepared me for the riot of colour that awaited us there though, nor the utter barginous nature of the blooms! We came home with armfuls of roses, tulips and irises all for a smidgen of the price that you would expect to pay in a florists or a supermarket! (Not quite as cheap as my beloved daffodils but certainly nothing to be sniffed at!)

Columbia Road is what I would term a proper old fashioned market, with stall holders who still shout the prices at the top of their lungs and prices to be cut at the end of the day. The shops up and down the street behind the flower stalls themselves are certainly worth a look as well. There were loads of things that I would have love to have bought and other shops I certainly need to go back and have a closer look at. The linen and china shops at one end of the road spring to mind with absolute clarity.

A few non-flower purchases were made but I will save those for another time I think.

One thing is for sure, I can't wait for the Summer holidays when G is more likely to take kindly to be awoken at the crack of dawn for another visit!!

About these ads
Previous Post
Next Post

11 Comments

1. Gorgeous isn’t it? But I never seem to buy any flowers as I’m put off by the thought of getting them all home again on the train!

2. it looks incredible! Beautiful photos too Gemma. So nice to see you back. Please blog more as life settles down for you?

3. Oh my gosh – beautiful! I wish that we had something like that here in Boston. Cut flowers are such a luxury, but I love to splurge occasionally. They just make a home so happy and bright, don’t they? I’m in love with the cute little ranunculus up at the top!

4. The colors are brilliant. I love flower markets but we don’t have one close at hand. That’s probably a good thing or I’d want to spend the grocery money on flowers!

5. Gorgeous photographs. I always intend to visit but never quite manage it.

6. Ohhh, i’m drooling over those flowers, the colours and the prices! It’s one place i have always wanted to visit too and I have a feeling after looking at your wonderful photos, it’s not going to be long till I do! Thank you for sharing x

7. Wow, that looks just AMAZING. Did you bring anything home?

8. Sorry, I commented before I read the whole post! The peonies are my favorite, I think. I would love to visit that market

9. dreaming of a country home

/  June 19, 2010

What a lovely blog you have!
    The flowers are wonderful, and so your photos!
    It does look like an amazing place to visit, thanks for sharing.
    The peonies ranunculas are my favourite.
    I`ve bought some seeds from ebay,and can`t wait to see them flower.
    DEBBIE MOSS

10. wow, i absolutely adore theese photos!

11. Hi there, this weekend is nice designed for me, because this time i am reading this great educational article
    here at my house.